CLICK TO READ Lauren's BIO
Lauren Lanphear, President
ISA Certified Arborist #OH-5071A
ISA Tree Risk Qualified
CLICK TO READ Tom's BIO
Tom Mugridge, General Manager
ISA Certified Arborist #OH-0060A
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist #306
Lauren Lanphear OH-5071A
Tom Mugridge OH-0060A
Dave Robinson OH-6040A
Nick Burnett OH- 5147A
About Forest City Tree Protection Company – Cleveland’s Tree Doctors
In the summer of 1902, William P. "Will" Lanphear, Jr., a student at the Western Reserve University, found work trimming and caring for trees up and down Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, on the "Heights" (eastern suburbs), and out east in the Village of Gates Mills.
Following graduation, W. P. Lanphear, Jr. taught school and helped his folks run a summer park, Chippewa Lake . However, he never lost his interest in tree care and in 1906, he went to Tarrytown, New York, where seventy-five college men trimmed and cared for trees throughout the big estates along the Hudson, Pocantica Hills, Long Island, etc. But he didn't like traveling all over, so he decided to start out by himself with his own company in Cleveland and vicinity.
In 1910, he took the name Forest City Tree Protection Company. The City of Cleveland was first tagged as the " Forest City " back in the early 19th century. In 1823, Leonard Case was responsible for an ordinance regulating the planting of shade trees on village streets and starting the "Forest City" on its way to fame. The first documented reference appears in an 1874 American Encyclopedia: "The abundance of shade trees, chiefly maple, has given to the city (Cleveland) the title of the 'Forest City '."
He moved his family and the company to its present location in South Euclid, OH in 1918. His two sons, John and William III, grew up with the family business, joining full-time in 1937 and eventually became full partners with their father. Both sons graduated from Western Reserve University.
In 1958 the partnership was dissolved and the firm was incorporated. Mr. Lanphear, Jr. passed away in December of 1966 at which time John was named Board Chairman and William III (Bill) became President. John Lanphear retired in 1975 because of serious illness and sold his shares to Bill.
Bill's son, Lauren, became involved full-time in 1979 upon graduation from Hiram College. Like his father and Uncle, Lauren grew up with the tree care business, working part-time through senior high school and college. He became Vice-President and a shareholder in 1980. Bill Lanphear retired in 1983. Lauren became president in 1993.
The Lanphear Supply Division was formed in the late 1950's to provide tree care and landscape supplies for the growing green industry. The Lanphear Supply mission:
"Lanphear Supply is dedicated to providing exceptional, quality, & diversified products, service & knowledge, at a fair profit, to tree care & related green industry professionals. Customer Satisfaction - Knowing & meeting our customers' needs and helping them be successful is our top priority."
In October of 1979, a division called Chim, Chim, Cher-ee Professional Chimney Sweeps was established, providing chimney cleaning services to homeowners.
Forest City Tree Protection has provided the Cleveland community with quality tree care services for three generations, establishing a reputation for excellent, reliable service.
We celebrated our 100th Anniversary in 2010. Our focus continues to be just one thing: